AuthorTopic: Help with characters and environment  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Deathanima

• View Profile

Help with characters and environment

on: October 22, 2014, 03:29:33 pm
I'm so happy I've found that forum !

Hello everybody I'm a french student in a game art school and i'm here because I've made some pixel art this summer and try to learn all by myself but it's really difficult.
If you guys can help me with any advises and feedback it would be so cool ! When i look for pixel art tips on the internet I found a lot of minecraft things x).

Ok so the very first thing I made was four character running, it was hard because it was my first pixel art attempt and my very first animation. I really love ragnarock online so I wanted to have the same proportion but I don't have copy anything and made it all myslef I swear.

(yes it's mass effect armor but don't worry, it's a personal project so no copyright offense will be done.)
 I know there is a lot of mistake with the hair and cloth do you guys have tips for that ?

I've made those for a little project I have with friends so I also made a background:

http://i.imgur.com/OkFYrag.png

The purpose was to have something very "cliché", simple and sunny but I still feel like something is missing, any ideas ?

And I also made more big image of the characters inspired of some pose I found on the internet:
http://i.imgur.com/f650H4c.png

Well that's all, I hope i don't bother you guys and If anybody can give me some advices it would be awesome, I will search for tips on the forum but there is so many things to see.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:31:13 pm by Deathanima »

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Re: Help with characters and environment

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:08:39 pm
For an example of how to improve the hair look at this guy's speedpaints https://www.youtube.com/user/JinnDemonEvil/videos

I usually find I pick up something new after each time I watch them.

As to how someone would start a large epic picture like you've shown, haven't the foggiest but I'd also be interested to know.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:58:06 pm
But how do we start something like thins ? Do you begin in 1920+1080 and make a line and put color ? or do you begin with a really little picture, put all your shape and then make it bigger and add details ? And for the color how to know when to use those awesome blue and purple shadow ? It all look so clean, when I try it's awefull x)

Everyone works differently, but generally you want to work from less detailed to progressively more detailed. For a scene like that you may want to draw several thumbnail sketches for some compositions. After you find the one you think works the best, draw it out larger and then start deciding on where smaller details will go, still being a bit sketchy in the process.. and from there I would just start refining if I don't feel like it needs to be drawn over again. Colors can be changed at any time and you will usually find yourself tweaking things after the picture is finished. Some artists even draw entire pictures in grayscale and then only add color at the end.

Offline Deathanima

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:50:20 pm
I see thanks a lot guys, I will watch all these videos and try to find the best way for me to work on it !