AuthorTopic: GR#122 - La Scaphandrier - Gameart  (Read 34609 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Le Scaphandrier - A game in the making

Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:21 pm
Wow, a game where you phisically go into the abyss at the same time you metaphorically also enter the abyss?(screaming one) hell yeah...and you have glitch graphics added onto that concept? awesome.

Wait, are you saying the protagonist progressively descends into madness and the levels are basically modeled after his delusions? That's awesome!! What a sweet concept. Gives me many ideas. This'll facilitate each new level being more and more unique and interesting. Which compels the player to keep going. Think of Louis Wain and how it's said that his developing schizophrenia increasingly manifested in his artwork.

I don't know if you have it in you really do this type of game concept justice, visually, because frankly I'm not sure how I myself would handle it. But hey, what an original concept.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your ability to follow through with your own idea, I'm calling into question how wise it would be to attempt the slant I think I just put on your idea - which is basically to progressively alter the look of the game and even the game's feeling/attitude as you get further and further, things becoming more and more "crazy". It's a tall order, but done right would REALLY compel people to try out your game. I think it could make a splash.
That is just incredible. Say, did this Lous Wain fellow actually complain about his state of mind? because if he could function fine "deterioration" isnt how I would qualify the changes in his artistic output! he obviously went into the unknown (or rather the unknowable) I would hope he did it with his will and peace of mind still intact because I'm enjoying his artwork.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:34 pm
Thanks guys! :)

Conceit: I'd have to check again, but I think Wain got gradually more and more insane towards the end of his life following the death of his mother.

Here's a quick test:

Is this a good compromise?
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:21 pm
Indeed, glad to see this back in action! :)

I'll be back with something more thorough later, but quickly: it looks kinda strange to fade from blue to red, especially in an underwater environment. I'd expect the opposite; reds having a quicker falloff than blues because of the difference of wavelength like ptoing mentioned, and the atmospheric perspective.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:26:59 pm by Facet »