AuthorTopic: "Sakura" ambigram  (Read 4833 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

"Sakura" ambigram

on: April 28, 2006, 04:43:53 am
firstly, for those that dont know, an ambigram is word art than can be flipped 180 degrees and still says the same word

talking to a friend of mine on msn, and she asked me to make her an ambigram of her name, much like the one I made for my username "TakaM" (my avatar)
so I got to work:

while the finished product isnt anything super amazing, its the process I enjoy
I start on paper just sketching the word, in this case "sakura" with it upside down underneath each time to help with finding the best way to make each letter.
the beauty about making ambigrams on a computer is that you usually only have to do half the work and copy, paste and flip it onto the otherside. I didnt scan any of the pen and paper progress, but i do have most of the progress on the computer, so hereit is:
(she asked me to add the kitty >_>)

again, its nothing amazing in pixel art terms, but its something I enjoy doing and just thought you guys might find it interesting ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 05:38:30 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: "Sakura" ambigram

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:02:06 am
I was about to crit on how the letters looked like another letter except that they were upside down before I actually read the description...What can I say, I'm a dumbass. As for the art, I can't really find much to crit, since it's a very stylized piece of text. I guess if I was a text-freak who loves to search different types of fonts all day, I would have a better crit to give. The only thing I have to crit is if you are ever going to AA the outside of the bubbles surrounding the text, since they are looking a wee bit choppy. I could understand why you wouldn't though, since AA-ing it would make it harder to fit onto different, colored backgrounds. Looks very cool though....
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:08:32 am
i was considering doing aaing to the outside of the bubbles, infact on the last frame of the process I left some of the aaing in by mistake :P
but yeah, she wanted it to use on various.. stuff so I figured it would be best to leave it kinda jagged :)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:47:04 pm
learn to alphatransparent png :P

again, very stylized font, but there is no flipped kitty? D:

i like how you didn't flip the bubbles, helps to make it  interesting.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 06:04:18 pm
it would pwn if you could make the kitty able to be flipped and be the same, that would be a challenge!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:22:35 am
yeah, i was thinking about making it a translucent .png, but i highly doubt she has anything other than IE :P
and yeah, I was also considering making the kitty's face like '3' so I could flip it but it didnt really look right

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 01:05:07 pm
just be lazy and make the cat lying horizontal so it would flip, it's what i'd do :p
typing ewith fdace

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:49:30 pm
my only concern its that i found it hard to read until i knew what it was supposed to say. still, its a style, and this is quite well done.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.