AuthorTopic: Tzigla Rocks!!!  (Read 130691 times)

Offline ultagod

• View Profile

Re: Tzigla Rocks!!!

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 01:28:08 pm
I'd like to be able to re-upload/edit my tile until the CollabC64 is over. I have a tile that I've done about 80%  and it will take me another couple of days to finish, not 14hours. Is this possible? 

Offline dira

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:42 pm
Yes, it's possible. Upload it now and let ptoing know that you want to work more on it; he will sent the tile back to you to complete it.

I'd like to be able to re-upload/edit my tile until the CollabC64 is over. I have a tile that I've done about 80%  and it will take me another couple of days to finish, not 14hours. Is this possible? 

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:52 pm
Oh, got a sweet idea for you: animated final revealment. Sequential revelation. Chronological unmaskinate.
Once the thing is all done. Give an option to unhide the collab in the order each tile was submitted, or approved and added to the board. This matters, because when you view the final result in all it gestaltual glory you want to know who's responsible for that bad transition or who was brilliant enough to so seamlessly his tile so it matched the adjacents so well, etc. Plus, it's fun just to watch it unmask slowly.

Hit the links in the description I got there.

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:04 pm
Oh, got a sweet idea for you: animated final revealment. Sequential revelation. Chronological unmaskinate.
Once the thing is all done. Give an option to unhide the collab in the order each tile was submitted, or approved and added to the board. This matters, because when you view the final result in all it gestaltual glory you want to know who's responsible for that bad transition or who was brilliant enough to so seamlessly his tile so it matched the adjacents so well, etc. Plus, it's fun just to watch it unmask slowly.

Hit the links in the description I got there.

Thanks for the idea. It's already on the list :D

But thanks for bringing it up again, I just realised we can start with a way simpler version that what we had in mind! We can't do those options yet because we don't save those times (we can only guarantee creation time and last update time), but we will start saving those intermediate times soon.

ps: Your hex tiles look great, please make some for ccc64 ;)
http://tzigla.com/ - collabs & exquisite corpses, y'all

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: January 06, 2011, 04:51:10 pm
Thanks. And glad I helped lead you to a better solution for the idea.

LiGhTbUlB: There should be a way to instantly find a certain artist's tiles. I keep scanning over the entire thing looking for certain artists with the rollover effect to see which/how many they've done. I imagine a list of contributing artists in the UI, you can click a name and their tiles highlight somehow. Perhaps each artist name is a toggle button that highlights or unhighlights their contributed tiles. When multiple artist's names are clicked, you can keep them differentiated with randomly assigned color coding. And maybe this only works in "artist mode" (or something), which when activated places an overlay of information on the whole collab, such as name, etc. Because normally, you'd want clicking an artist's name to bring up their profile-ish info.

Ya know . . . I was going thru the last Hex Collab thread. Such a dramatic event, lotta excitement bottled up in it. But with the Tzigla thing now, the enthusiasm just isn't there. And I wonder why. There's no sense of urgency about it among participants.
I don't know exactly why, but if there was a Hex Collab 3 going on I would've already jumped in. I'm not nearly as compelled with Tzigla. Bringing this up because I suspect most feel the same way. I don't know if the Hex Collab's appeal was due to it being all handled by ptoing, a local resident admin, and it being more Pixelation exclusive, a more local thing, whereas Tzigla certainly feels like you're leaving Pixelation and going somewhere else entirely. Is it because it's squares? When I first caught wind of Tzigla, I was actually a little disappointed that a 3rd party would be handling what I perceived as a Pixelation novelty. It's like something rare, fresh, new and inventive being snapped up by a corporation, bottled and sold on shelves, in bulk. Is there a degree of that sold-out feeling? Am I just a freak? Eccentric about it. The collaborative spirit is still there, it's just not nearly as electric anymore. I would like Tzigla to have that. But since it's so intangible and hard to define, I can't tell you how to get it.

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #55 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:57 pm
Thanks. And glad I helped lead you to a better solution for the idea.

LiGhTbUlB: There should be a way to instantly find a certain artist's tiles. I keep scanning over the entire thing looking for certain artists with the rollover effect to see which/how many they've done. I imagine a list of contributing artists in the UI, you can click a name and their tiles highlight somehow. Perhaps each artist name is a toggle button that highlights or unhighlights their contributed tiles. When multiple artist's names are clicked, you can keep them differentiated with randomly assigned color coding. And maybe this only works in "artist mode" (or something), which when activated places an overlay of information on the whole collab, such as name, etc. Because normally, you'd want clicking an artist's name to bring up their profile-ish info.

Ya know . . . I was going thru the last Hex Collab thread. Such a dramatic event, lotta excitement bottled up in it. But with the Tzigla thing now, the enthusiasm just isn't there. And I wonder why. There's no sense of urgency about it among participants.
I don't know exactly why, but if there was a Hex Collab 3 going on I would've already jumped in. I'm not nearly as compelled with Tzigla. Bringing this up because I suspect most feel the same way. I don't know if the Hex Collab's appeal was due to it being all handled by ptoing, a local resident admin, and it being more Pixelation exclusive, a more local thing, whereas Tzigla certainly feels like you're leaving Pixelation and going somewhere else entirely. Is it because it's squares? When I first caught wind of Tzigla, I was actually a little disappointed that a 3rd party would be handling what I perceived as a Pixelation novelty. It's like something rare, fresh, new and inventive being snapped up by a corporation, bottled and sold on shelves, in bulk. Is there a degree of that sold-out feeling? Am I just a freak? Eccentric about it. The collaborative spirit is still there, it's just not nearly as electric anymore. I would like Tzigla to have that. But since it's so intangible and hard to define, I can't tell you how to get it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. You make some very good points and we've spent all day today busting our heads on how to fix things. We now realize we've been doing a lot of things wrong and that we didn't think enough about the people that will actually use the site.

One enlightenment in particular is that the hex collab was more about the conversation than the board (until the board was over) while tzigla is all about the board, and zero about conversation at the moment. I think this one of the main reasons for the feeling of coldness and impersonality.

The board should probably be a very tiny bit of the interface (even tho it's the actual tech behind it that makes running a collab easy) and most should be about what those people did and what they said. We were probably so proud of our collab enabling code that we forgot about making people happy :/.

We didn't realize this before your post (maybe we were in denial?) so thanks for bringing it up. We've definitely invested a few hundred hours (a lot of them instead of doing paid work, heh) so we really want tzigla to be used and loved and make life easier for collab happy people.

We'll be back tomorrow with ideas and start working on making tzigla a place for people, more than just a place for cold rules, image stitching and palette enforcing.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:04 am
Exactly!
I was hoping my little dose of reality would be well met. Gladly, I've communicated my thoughts to you in a way you can understand them, I was worried I might demoralize you guys there. But, I can see you're too mature and realistic for that. My kind of programmer.

I do think you've nailed it. Tzigla needs to be enriched with the "human element". Allow for chit-chat and who knows what else. Of course, this bloats the scope of the whole beast quite a bit.

I'm glad we're able to bounce thoughts off of each other here. This is what Tzigla needs. I wish others would say what's on their minds, too. Tzigla could be something really great. Would be so awesome if Tzigla could be packaged up into a "plug-in" that a forum could natively host. Just a thought. An independant Tzigla deployment.

Much more going on in my brain's 'Tzigla Future' corridor, but you guys can only do so much at a time. I'll stay present in this thread as long as you do I expect. Too bad I got so much going right now, it's hard to devote to actually making some tiles. Though, right now, my bigger concern is Tzigla's dev and how it's shaping up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:57:26 am by Mathias »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:43 pm
Just add a chat on the side where you see everyone online, and can also talk to em.
What Mathias said would also work.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 10, 2011, 03:21:55 am
Just add a chat on the side where you see everyone online, and can also talk to em.
But a mere chatbox per collab isn't really enough. Tzigla needs something beefier. Something familiar and user-friendly. Something that encourages communication. Though, the wheel doesn't need reinvented; forums already exist. Important thing is that the means of communication is native and tightly incorporated into Tzigla itself. How to do this I cannot say, I'm no web programmer.

In the quack quack collab, when you hit a tile (I think), it says, "100px tiles with 10px of context". This is confusing. I did a tile and was somewhat confused by where to actually draw. More explicit directions may benefit future collaborators. Color the area a participant  needs to draw in as some pink or green color, instead of black. That would help to clarify a bit. The 10px outer buffer, surrounding the whole collab is a little confusing. Each edge tile has a 10px transparent side, since each chunk of art is 100x100, yet the file is 120x120px. Little odd.

-TILE IDENTITY-
How do I specify a tile? With the Hexquisite collab, each tile had a number. Does Tzigla have a provision like this? If I want to comment on a certain tile, how do I do it? Describe it's general position? Each tile should have an unique identifier.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:30:01 am by Mathias »

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #59 on: January 10, 2011, 06:55:31 am
But a mere chatbox per collab isn't really enough. Tzigla needs something beefier. Something familiar and user-friendly. Something that encourages communication. Though, the wheel doesn't need reinvented; forums already exist. Important thing is that the means of communication is native and tightly incorporated into Tzigla itself. How to do this I cannot say, I'm no web programmer.

In the quack quack collab, when you hit a tile (I think), it says, "100px tiles with 10px of context". This is confusing. I did a tile and was somewhat confused by where to actually draw. More explicit directions may benefit future collaborators. Color the area a participant  needs to draw in as some pink or green color, instead of black. That would help to clarify a bit. The 10px outer buffer, surrounding the whole collab is a little confusing. Each edge tile has a 10px transparent side, since each chunk of art is 100x100, yet the file is 120x120px. Little odd.

-TILE IDENTITY-
How do I specify a tile? With the Hexquisite collab, each tile had a number. Does Tzigla have a provision like this? If I want to comment on a certain tile, how do I do it? Describe it's general position? Each tile should have an unique identifier.

1. Regarding commenting. Briefly, our current idea is to have latest activity (reservations, uploads, etc) mixed in with recent comments instead of the current sidebar. Also in the sidebar in another tab we'll have all current participating artists so you can click on them and highlight their tiles on the board and maybe show some more details about those tiles somewhere.

2. The 120x120 thing is for consistency. All tiles are border size + tile size + border size (edge tiles don't get special treatment), so yeah, little odd for edge tiles but not so bad. Btw, we might add wrap around boards so having edge tiles the same as the rest would help :)

3. The tile number, reference is indeed missing. With the new commenting system and revamp of UI (coming next week) we'll add ids below tiles (where you have the artist's name now). You'll then be able to just refer to a tile as #1-2, or #1,2, or maybe #67 (just a number like the hex collab) in a comment and that would be clickable and select the tile. And the other way around, we'll probably make it so you can see all comments about a tile easier and such.