AuthorTopic: Tzigla Rocks!!!  (Read 130720 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tzigla Rocks!!!

Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 05:49:45 pm
First of all, evilchelu, dira, thanks for spending so much energy on something so awesome and unexpected for our little community here. It really is a great thing. I hope you keep going.

Some ideas/thoughts now:

1) Wrap-around board, always fun to look at when it loops and loops. For this, have a viewing option where the browser goes full screen and the entire viewable area is the completed collab, repeating on all sides, then change the cursor to a "panning hand" (typical open-palm, flat hand, ya know. . .) and allow for click & drag panning. I'd maintain the rollover info when hovering over each tile, if possible. I suppose a "Leave Fullscreen" button floating somewhere would be wise UI.

2) Arglye's idea for commenting on a certain board I must second! Having a thread here for each collab is fine, in the meantime. Instead of typical forum commenting capability, like we have here, how about a chatbox type thing instead?

3) In a collab's page, add a list of artists that have submitted tiles so far. Include how many they're done, total. Maybe an avatar associated with their name, though that'd probably take up too much room. This would be a low-priority chunk of information in your UI, IMO, TTYL, OMG, LOL.

___

A) Before doing any intensive work on upgrades/add-ons to your tzigla concept, it may be wise to run the idea by the folks here first, or other users, whoever they are. Certain ideas will be strongly favored over others.
It's your baby, but if you were to give us a little more power to influence the development of tzigla I think it would benefit everyone. For instance, expose your to-do list, keep a live copy of it somewhere for us, like a change-log to be, and allow voting to determine the priority of things. This way, the most desired things have a better chance of being added the quickest and therefore the appeal of tzigla rises as fast as possible for the majority of users. It only makes sense. How much of the dev you want to "share" is the question.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:46:10 pm by Mathias »

Offline BrandonD

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:03 am
Hi I just submitted a tile, it's my first time joining one of these projects. You guys are awesome artists, thanks for including me (if it passes inspection!)

Offline dira

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:51 pm
Hi Mathias,

thanks for your ideas! We're super excited to see you guys using the site, giving us feedback and creating wonderful drawings (and so anxious to see the first complete board :D)

We definitely want the users' help for prioritizing our to do list, and we'll ask you when we have the time for developing a new major feature. Probably in the near future we'll have a poll about which new type of board to make next, or to choose between commenting and a new kind of board.

In the meantime little suggestions are super-welcome. Your idea nr 3. is good, we just have to figure out how to best integrate it in the interface. :)

A) Before doing any intensive work on upgrades/add-ons to your tzigla concept, it may be wise to run the idea by the folks here first, or other users, whoever they are. Certain ideas will be strongly favored over others.
It's your baby, but if you were to give us a little more power to influence the development of tzigla I think it would benefit everyone. For instance, expose your to-do list, keep a live copy of it somewhere for us, like a change-log to be, and allow voting to determine the priority of things. This way, the most desired things have a better chance of being added the quickest and therefore the appeal of tzigla rises as fast as possible for the majority of users. It only makes sense. How much of the dev you want to "share" is the question.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 02:25:36 pm
Holidays + Secret Santa = Waning activity for Tzigla.  I'll make another tile or so on one of the boards after the smoke clears <3

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 08:08:05 pm
Yo homies,

We just deployed new version of tzigla on the live server. ^-^

Practically no new functionality has been added, but we worked about a week to improve the sidebar design and overall look and feel. We also added some help and texts to guide new users towards on the path of becoming a great tziglar!

Check it out at: http://tzigla.com, and especially http://tzigla.com/boards/3

Happy pixeling! :B
http://tzigla.com/ - collabs & exquisite corpses, y'all

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 12:42:18 am
Some good changes. I like your minimal UI thinking. Though, I did like the percentage complete being visible by default; not requiring a rollover. Seems like pertinent enough info to not be hidden.

Further on the percent complete  - it would be cool if not only a number was used, but along with a numerical percentage, a progress bar (pbar) subdivided into as many segments as there are tiles total, in the collab. Segments of this pbar representing completed tiles would be a different shade than the ones representing incomplete ones. You could even use a 3rd shade for tiles currently checked out.
This pbar idea adds a nice functional visual representation of collab completness/incompleteness for all the visually-oriented people that will visit Tzigla. The difference in how left-brained and right-brained people prefer to get information can be humorous sometimes.

Are you really purposely revealing completed tiles landlocked by other completed tiles? Yikes, that nearly ruins the fun, and surely spoils any element of surprise and anticipation as the collab progresses. We dealt with this issue during the Hex Collab here. We pretty much all decided to keep it hidden, until the very end. The surprise at the end is astounding. I strongly suggest keeping everything hidden from sight until all done.

A serious web programmer friend, and myself, attempted to reveal your blacked out tiles in both collabs, and were unsuccessful, so good job. Yer doing some server-side magic to keep everything under wraps, and it works.

Familiar with the exquisite corpse site/collab, Start a Story?

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 10:01:08 am
Actually I think the percentage complete would be mroe useful on the main overview page showing all the boards, as once you've selected a board, it's easy enough to rollover.
Not that this severly impacts the usability or anything, tzigla is just fine the way it is. :)
i

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 02:35:06 pm
Thanks for the compliments :)

Because of the minimal things, we took the percent out because it was not essential and had too little info (we want to bring it back with a few more stats). Other UI updates coming today, btw. Thanks for the progress bar style idea. W might implement it another way tho, maybe as a bg for the header or such.

We have two options that control the revealing of tiles:

1. never show tiles until the end, even if all neighbours are done (defaults to false)
2. always show tiles, even if neighbours are not done (defaults to false)

The C64 board has the first option set to true, which is exactly what you want, and the quack board uses the defaults, which makes the game a bit more palatable to people new to the tzigla concept. The second option allows us to support the pixeljoint style collabs (for which we still have to allow saving WIPs and rereservation of already done tiles).

As for the visibility of tiles, it would be pretty difficult to break that since we upload by default as private to amazon s3, and we only make them visible once they have to become visible (based on the logic described above). Thanks for trying tho :). We would appreciate if you find any security issues (except issues involving social engineering).

Some good changes. I like your minimal UI thinking. Though, I did like the percentage complete being visible by default; not requiring a rollover. Seems like pertinent enough info to not be hidden.

Further on the percent complete  - it would be cool if not only a number was used, but along with a numerical percentage, a progress bar (pbar) subdivided into as many segments as there are tiles total, in the collab. Segments of this pbar representing completed tiles would be a different shade than the ones representing incomplete ones. You could even use a 3rd shade for tiles currently checked out.
This pbar idea adds a nice functional visual representation of collab completness/incompleteness for all the visually-oriented people that will visit Tzigla. The difference in how left-brained and right-brained people prefer to get information can be humorous sometimes.

Are you really purposely revealing completed tiles landlocked by other completed tiles? Yikes, that nearly ruins the fun, and surely spoils any element of surprise and anticipation as the collab progresses. We dealt with this issue during the Hex Collab here. We pretty much all decided to keep it hidden, until the very end. The surprise at the end is astounding. I strongly suggest keeping everything hidden from sight until all done.

A serious web programmer friend, and myself, attempted to reveal your blacked out tiles in both collabs, and were unsuccessful, so good job. Yer doing some server-side magic to keep everything under wraps, and it works.

Familiar with the exquisite corpse site/collab, Start a Story?

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 02:38:59 pm
Actually I think the percentage complete would be mroe useful on the main overview page showing all the boards, as once you've selected a board, it's easy enough to rollover.
Not that this severly impacts the usability or anything, tzigla is just fine the way it is. :)

I agree, it's severely lacking from the front page.

We're a bit nuts with tzigla so we think it's lacking quite a bit of usability (especially for first time users) so we'll keep working on that. We actually had 3 average joe web users try it out and found out some pretty interesting things :)

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 11:26:04 pm
Ho, ho, ho!

Just deployed a new version. It contains mainly changes for not signed in users (help, better sign in texts, hints, etc) and a bunch of new texts.

It also has an even more streamlined sidebar, that manages to actually add more info in less space, yay :)

As always, see it in action at http://tzigla.com/boards/3

Happy pixeling!