AuthorTopic: 'Advance Wars'-style Mock-up  (Read 14933 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

'Advance Wars'-style Mock-up

on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:07 pm
This may or may not be a true mock-up, since I may at some point find a programmer or use my limited programming skills to take a stab at it.

Still, I figured whatever happens, I should post these for critique, since there are a great many things wrong here. I also desperately tried to give them my own style and make them look less like I ripped them from Advance Wars itself, but it's a surprisingly difficult task.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:20:45 pm by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: 'Advance Wars'-style Mock-up

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:19 pm
This looks really nice, and very much like the style presented by the advance wars series.

The first things i notice are the people, who have no definition, I can't tell what is happening with them.
The second thing i see are the propellers..... They don't seem to follow the same angle as everything else.

EDIT: I noticed another thing about the copters, i believe the back end of them would get thinner, right?

I think it may help if you worked on a bigger scale, like advance wars normally did, and then go on to create a downscaled version of the vehicles, it would probably allow you to define the form and shape the way you want to.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:56:37 pm by FRAWG »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:06 am
Actually, just because I'm basing the sprites off of an Advance Wars style doesn't mean the gameplay will necessarily resemble Advance Wars. My plan was to have their current size be the normal size; there may or may not be smaller sizes for overworld map units or whatnot (might just use markers).

As for the copters, I was doing my best to keep with the blocky style, so the helicopter fins are not tapered. I do agree with you on the rotors, however; it took posting them for me to realize it was a perspective issue.

Thanks fir the crits and comments! Stay tuned for progress.

EDIT: As for the troops themselves... I'm not sure how to define them any more at that small of a scale. I'm open to any edits (seems like a pathetic thing to request, but hey, whatever works). I'm honestly not sure how to approach them, so I'll take whatever assistance I can get. Thanks in advance, guys.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:24:50 am
Sorry for the double-post, but I figured I'd drop in before I went back to my spriting cave in order to let you know that this has been officially taken up as a project.

We have no information on the game name or anything really specific, and it will resemble Advance Wars in a great many ways, however, the twist to the system will be the addition of battlefield "layers".

So, not only will you have the topside battlefield as normal, you'll also have underground and sky battlefields.

And gaining the upper hand in either of those can do good things for you (dropping in more troops from the skies, or planting mines just below the battlefield surface, for example).

In some cases, there could even be multiple layers on either end (up to 3, maybe?), or no layers at all, making each battle diverse not only in terrain, but in the things you can do. You will almost never be able to use the same strategy for every battle you enter into, because the option you most often use will not always be available. I really think it'll make for an interesting system.

EDIT: My time in the spriting cave has yielded results. I'm still not happy with the way the helicopters look, but it's a step in the right direction, at least.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

EDIT II: I also tried my hand at an animation for one of the tanks. Any good? I feel like it needs improvement, but I'm not sure how.

EDIT III: Updated the OP with the latest full spritesheet, which has the beginnings of the map tilesets on it now. Enjoy, and critique anything here. I'd be happy to have your opinion.

EDIT IV: Updated the animation a bit, so that the treads actually move, plus there's some context of motion. Also gave me an excuse to test the tiles.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:38:52 pm by Olothontor »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 05:59:30 pm

Overall updates. In the upper right hand corner you'll find the biggest one: finally gritted me teeth, sat down, and worked out the cardinals on one of the tanks. Feels good to have that out of the way, and I feel like they look really good. But of course I should avoid judging my work all by myself.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 06:27:45 pm
The front and back views should be wider.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:33 pm

Fixed, for the most part. Started one the cardinals for the transport APC.

I'd really like help with the tiles; they're overly bland, dull, boring, and very out of sync with the rest of the sprites. Please help?

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:17 pm
The front and back views should be wider.
Geometrically speaking, the front and back views should be 1/sin(angle) times wider than the side views (assuming we are talking about the vehicle's top plane).
I'm having trouble deciding what angle we are viewing this from so I'm not really sure if you are correct or not. (Judging by the helicopter's propeller we are looking at a 40-45 degree angle, so roughly sqrt(2) is the correct ratio, which means you are right)

Either way, it is important to remember the magic of geometry if you want to get these things right.

As for the latest mockup, I think that the APC (I'm guessing it's an APC, top left of the four) is a bit bland and strange looking, especially from the front and back views. It looks like a box, whereas in reality they tend to look more curvy (at least here they are often tanks that had their turret removed and then refurbished a bit so they look like tanks), unless you want something ugly like this: http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%91%D7%A5:M113A1-latrun-1.jpg (found this wikipediaing around for how they look in reality. You might want to go with something cool like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namer_%28vehicle%29 ;) )
Also, do the two bottom vehicles have windows in the front, or are those supposed to be grilles? (windows make no sense, first because they'd be a huge vulnerability and second because that's where the engine usually sits.)
^
||
NOOB

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:12:21 am
Well, first thing, thanks for the crits. I'll keep my geometry in mind.

Second, they're not exactly supposed to be terribly realistic, I was going for a cartoon-ish feel. In relation to the windows, yes, they were intended to be windows. Also, why you would put the engine on the front of a tank eludes me. Is that not the part of the tank that tends to get shot at most often? I suppose putting the driver and gunner in that space also proves just as idiotic, so i guess that's a moot point either way. Nevermind xD

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:08:34 am
The engine being infront of the tank adds additional protection for the crew inside, as the front is the part most often shot at.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:23:48 am
But then the ENGINE is in peril. I would rather have a running tank than one without a gunner and/or driver. To me that makes more sense, but then again I guess I'm no engineer.

I'll play around with the grill concept and see which I like the look of better.

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 12:35:06 pm
But then the ENGINE is in peril. I would rather have a running tank than one without a gunner and/or driver. To me that makes more sense, but then again I guess I'm no engineer.
IIRC That's what the Russians did; Western countries prefer the safety of the crew over that of the engine. And besides, the engine can be replaced; Fixing a broken tank and pressing it back into service (into the same war it was damaged in) is not uncommon.
Either way windows on a tank or any armored vehicle look bizarre, and IMO it is beyond cartoonish. Then again, this is your art and you should decide what goes into it and not some internet smarty-pants :)
^
||
NOOB

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 02:03:32 pm
Haha, no, no. It's a valid opinion, certainly. Like I said, I will play around with the grill idea, especially because it's something I had not previously considered.

I'll get some experimental grill-age up ASAP. Probably sometime in the next four or five hours; I don't get a chance to use my laptop until I get home today.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:12:16 pm

Alright, here's my try at a grill-style front on the APC (look for a red box; old on the left, new on the right). Let me know what you guys think. Work continues, as usual. Thanks for all the critique!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:49 pm
I'd really like help with the tiles; they're overly bland, dull, boring, and very out of sync with the rest of the sprites. Please help?

It's rough. Basically just work with higher saturations and do a little hue shiftin like you did on the tanks. Yellow->Blue works for vegetation, or light green/blue to dark green sometimes. Dark outlines help too! and don't dither, cus that isn't in the style you established

dude i love these tanks, yellow with orange shadow is pure eye candy i wanna see more more   o w o

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:32 am
So you don't think those will distract from the tanks themselves? I'm definitely willing to try it, but I'm just curious.

Edit: I forgot to mention; thanks a ton for the edit! It really got your point across. I appreciate it :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:38:03 am by Olothontor »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 03:07:21 am
I feel like there is too much noise and detail going on without a lot of contrast in your vehicle sprites. In general I think they look good, but they could definitely use some clarification. At one point in time I was tasked with creating very similar sprites, so I thought I would share these as a point of reference that might benefit you.

Forgive me for such a lazy critique, I just saw a chance to help but don't have a lot of time to commit to it.  :)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 09:42:55 am
Awesome! Those could definitely help, although I find it strange that some of those vehicles have a bit more contrast than the others. Are they supposed to be more eye-catching than the rest?

Look at me, critiquing your critique. My bad.

Anyway, I'll do my best to these to good use. Ill avoid using your designs, though. What precisely are you looking for? More mechanical detail, more detail in general? Is there any specific aspect of them I need to reinforce or add to?

(P.S. You are forgiven  ;D )

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 08:26:00 pm

I've drastically reduced the amount of black in the palette, and once again redone those idiotic helicopter rotors. They're much more satisfactory to me now, but there are still fixes to be made.

I also messed with the map tiles to give them more... visual 'oomph'.

I apologize for this moving so slowly. There's lots going on.

EDIT: Additional stuff:

Using some profiles from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising to test the skin tone palettes for the various races, along with facial features and predominant hair color.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:41:36 pm by Olothontor »