AuthorTopic: Midas  (Read 6960 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Midas

on: June 08, 2010, 04:43:04 pm
Yeah, been a few months since i've last pixeled.
I've been drawing traditionally more using Burne Hogarth and Loomis.

Anywayyy,... I did this for the recent(ish) Secret Santa.

I would like to hear anyones views on how to improve this. I'm thinking of removing the seat behind and starting it again.

Anatomy critiques much needed :D

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Re: Midas

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:30:13 pm
Hi!

Judging by the pose I understand that this is a throne, but I dont see it as a throne mostly because of the shading but if your intent is to remove it, I wont insist.

Regarding anatomy, (I'm no expert... really) I can spot many problems of proportion and shape:

- head pose seems weird, looks like the head is simply a ball put on the chest.
- bust is very triangular, seems exagerated.
- left and right forearms + right arm need muscles and curves, AFAICS your forearms seem to be elongated wrists.
- right shoulder is not shaded as a shoulder, the left one (even if it seems too huge), on the contrary, make me think it IS a shoulder.
- left legs is somewhat deformed; I dont really sense the calf nor the ankle.

Overall, I like this orangish copperish palette, also general contrast seem ok to me.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:03 pm
- head pose seems weird, looks like the head is simply a ball put on the chest.
- bust is very triangular, seems exagerated.
- left and right forearms + right arm need muscles and curves, AFAICS your forearms seem to be elongated wrists.
- right shoulder is not shaded as a shoulder, the left one (even if it seems too huge), on the contrary, make me think it IS a shoulder.
- left legs is somewhat deformed; I dont really sense the calf nor the ankle.

Tried to adress the problems by:
- Making the neck more noticeable, and showing the traps more
-I did want somewhat of a exagerated, perfect, sculpture (When you say bust do you mean the shoulder + head or his chest/abs?)
When i know what you mean, i'll try and make it less triangular. :)
- Made the arms more muscular, and more anatomically correct (I hope).
- Made the forearms bigger and the wrists smaller.
-I'll improve the shading on the shoulder/arm when i'm sure the lineart is good.
-I've tried to make the ankle more prominant (i'll change it a bit more) and a bit of the calf, though from the position of his leg/foot i don't think you'd see a lot of the calf. (correct me if i'm wrong please)

Thanks for the critiques Anarkhya

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:35:20 pm by Quake »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:14:03 pm
Wait wait wait!

Improve the shading before you improve the outlines! That's usually the best way to work because the shading is the real meat of a drawing. Outlines are just a distraction if you're going for something like this I think.

Those pecs look a bit too big; even for a muscle-ho. Remember that he's got armpits—and some muscles sticking out from behind him.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:37:43 pm
Improve the shading before you improve the outlines! That's usually the best way to work because the shading is the real meat of a drawing. Outlines are just a distraction if you're going for something like this I think.

Those pecs look a bit too big; even for a muscle-ho. Remember that he's got armpits—and some muscles sticking out from behind him.

Thanks for the link, i did in the first have the back muscles (behind the pecs) but i must've accidentally gotten rid of them :)
I'll do what you suggested with the pecs and improve the shading.

Offline gennoveus

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:52 pm

Thanks for the link, i did in the first have the back muscles (behind the pecs) but i must've accidentally gotten rid of them :)
I'll do what you suggested with the pecs and improve the shading.

When the arms are raised, the pectoralis major (pecs) lose their definition and become thinner because they are stretched. They only have definition at the bottom when the arms are pointed down, and there is "clevage" when the arms are together and forward.

The latissimus dorsi (armpit muscles) are the opposite. they cover the majority of the back, and stick out like "wings" when the arms are raised on muscly dudes, but dont stick out when the arms are lowered.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:23:36 am
- Making the neck more noticeable, and showing the traps more
 (When you say bust do you mean the shoulder + head or his chest/abs?)

Judging from the outlines, I sense a neck now. Sorry for the bust confusion, I meant pectoral + abdominal. anyway. I cant see an exagerated triangle anymore. Ok with me.

- Made the arms more muscular, and more anatomically correct (I hope).
- Made the forearms bigger and the wrists smaller.

I still have a problem with your forearms, too rectilinear. really need curves (by outline or by shading...)
This reference (crappy gif rendering but hey ;)) could help: Messie de dune - cover art and also cleaner version but cropped

-I've tried to make the ankle more prominant (i'll change it a bit more) and a bit of the calf, though from the position of his leg/foot i don't think you'd see a lot of the calf. (correct me if i'm wrong please)

Talking about the right leg, your thigh is not fat enough to match the calf, besides, the man is seated so the thig as a muscle should react accordingly. For the left leg, this is a matter of correct shading and I cant help more at this point, as I am not skilled to reproduce exact human anatomy.

Anyway, AFAICS, your second drawing feels more correct than the first. So hang on!

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:07:48 am
Sorry, I just couldn't resist an edit any longer.  :'(

Basically, what they said plus I extended his head since it looked a little cramped, I made the legs longer, adjusted the legs so that he looked more comfy, gave him some more guns, and a super-gay face because I was tired of drawing beautiful ones (I've been working very hard on my sketching lately) :)

I don't usually draw big muscular dudes, I prefer slender chicks, so I'm sure there are lots of little quirks hiding everywhere, but maybe it can help point you in the right direction. Sorry for killing your wonderful bronze texture btw.

I'll be done now. Good luck on your piece!  :D

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:50 am

When the arms are raised, the pectoralis major (pecs) lose their definition and become thinner because they are stretched. They only have definition at the bottom when the arms are pointed down, and there is "clevage" when the arms are together and forward.

The latissimus dorsi (armpit muscles) are the opposite. they cover the majority of the back, and stick out like "wings" when the arms are raised on muscly dudes, but dont stick out when the arms are lowered.

Haha, I had just been doing that last night since i realised after looking in the mirror :P

But thanks, i'll post now what i've got then the critiques can carry on :D

Much appreciated everyone

Sorry, I just couldn't resist an edit any longer.  :'(

Basically, what they said plus I extended his head since it looked a little cramped, I made the legs longer, adjusted the legs so that he looked more comfy, gave him some more guns, and a super-gay face because I was tired of drawing beautiful ones (I've been working very hard on my sketching lately) :)

I don't usually draw big muscular dudes, I prefer slender chicks, so I'm sure there are lots of little quirks hiding everywhere, but maybe it can help point you in the right direction. Sorry for killing your wonderful bronze texture btw.

Thanks for the edit, i now do see the problems, especially with the calf of the leg that's touching the floor and... well both legs in general :D

Also, i really like how you've done the arms/hands so i'll have to look into how you did it. I was so annoyed with the arms last night i just cut them off up to the point where the pecs join the shoulder when stretched :P

Update:

I'll do some more work on it today, so expect updates :D

I've got some pictures of people doing bicep flexes (to show how the chest seperates, so i'll do some edits on that too) :)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:12:08 am by Quake »

Offline zanaril

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:17 am
I think the main problem is with the pose. It doesn't look like someone sitting, it looks more like someone hanging from something, standing on one leg. The raised leg, especially, looks detatched from the body.

I tried doing a quick sketch, and here's what I came up with: