AuthorTopic: [wip] Small game, "Crippled"  (Read 18195 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Small "god" game, "Crippled"

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:29:29 am
No offense meant bengoisha.

@collinsick: I'm not That good at programming.

Offline skado

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 01:12:10 pm

@collinsick: I'm not That good at programming.

If you know how to scroll a background, you know how to do parallax scrolling. Each set of clouds is it's own layer. We'll assume that something is scrolling at the speed you want. Have every layer of clouds scroll at that speed. That's your scroll speed. Now to slow or speed up a layer. You simply multiply each other layer by a number. If you multiply a layer by 1.0 it scrolls the same speed as it does naturally. If you multiply it by less than 1, it scrolls slower. More than 1 scrolls faster. Good luck. :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:46:43 pm
No offense meant bengoisha.
No offense that you won't read my message? I'm confused. I'd be hurt if you didn't read it, I was hoping you would, I put quite some time into that message, was hoping it would be helpful to your artistic improvement.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:54 pm
@skado: Actually, I was talking about the link he provided with the Seussian Twists. That I don't believe I will be able to program any time soon. And I agree about the parrallax scrolling. I was going to start on that next in my open source project. Hopefully I can get it done and current with all the flixel releases that adam seems so fond of doing every two weeks it seems. (not that I Don't mind, mind you.)

@bengoisha: No, I will read it eventually after I blow off some more steam. I thought that people might've thought that I was attacking your crit by just completely ignoring it and blowing you off which would be quite insulting. I shouldn't have given that impression (if i did to anybody) and that's what I'm apologizing for.

Offline Bieber boy

• Freelancer
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 04:32:47 am
Bengashia, I hope you accept xhunterko's apology. He has improved greatly since recent pixelations.

I hope you improve your attitude as xhunterko improves his art.

And saying "it doesn't work that way" doesn't help anything.

Good luck, xhunterko.
God made everything out of nothing, but everything still shows through.
-Bieber boy

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 05:11:35 am
Bengashia, I hope you accept xhunterko's apology. He has improved greatly since recent pixelations.

I hope you improve your attitude as xhunterko improves his art.
I don't care about him apologizing, I'm not offended at all, I would just like him to read my post thoroughly and take some time to let the ideas sink in. To be truthful as I've said before, I haven't seen much improvement and I believe its because he hasn't really learned the fundamentals of art. I would bet if he did that (learn the fundamentals of art) you would see a much, much larger improvement and then hurray everybody wins.

I don't think the problem is my "attitude", my post wasn't meant to be degrading or hurtful in any way, shape or form, I was only being honest in hopes of helping him improve his artistic ability.

And saying "it doesn't work that way" doesn't help anything.
I said more than just 'it doesn't work that way", I suggest you read my post again, I would hope you got more out of it than just that. This is an art critique board, if he just wants to show off his work, there are plenty of sites where people will accept and enjoy his work. In my opinion Pixelation seems to be fairly critical, its one of the more "serious" art forums out there because of this you should be prepared for actual criticism of your work, etc.

I know my posts can come off as a bit rude and I apologize, I'm not very good with... being subtle I guess? I've never been one to really be light on critique, if I see a problem I'll state it, isn't that the point of critique? But believe me when I say I would love to see him improve and thats why I said what I did.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 11:42:00 am
Honesty is the greatest compliment. In that light, Bengoshia's (or any so-called "blunt") attitude should be cherished, not met with hostility. Just my opinion.

Hi xhunterko!

Quote from: Les Brown
You cannot expect to achieve new goals or move beyond your present circumstances unless you change.

These people are being curel to be kind, I think. If anyone says something to you that you don't like, regardless of whether they said it for your own benefit or just to be nasty, don't get angry. If what they say isn't true, then just shrug it off. If you know that it is true, use that critisicm as a tool to improve yourself.

This is just my opinion, but what bengoshia said wasn't fuelled by some hate for you; he said it because he is passionate about this hobby and he wants others to improve as well (including you). The best way to improve is to reflect on yourself in a critical and objective way. If you get emotional about critisicm about your work, and choose to block it out, you are also blocking the path to progress!

I just posted some new stuff over of pixeljoint (I'm a noob too!) and got loads of critisicm. But I wish I got more! Really! Every failure is a chance to improve. Many people on the forum noticed things in my picture that I didn't, and I thank them for that.

I don't know, I think I'm ranting a little bit here, but what I'm trying to say is that you should keep trying, but maybe you should change your learning process to take into account what other people have to say, even if it is not always a friendly compliment. Then you'll be sure to improve!  ;D

Now there's a mindset healthy for art!

xhunterko: To depict something you must have some understanding of it. Study and observation will cultivate this understanding. There's really no other way. The study of light, atmosphere, plants, rocks and animals (including humans) are the most sure-fire way to depicting them with authority. In league with the study of art fundamentals (line, value, form, perspective, colour) as well, of course. That should be at the absolute tip-top of your list for improving your art technique, as Bengoshia stated.

Offline gennoveus

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 09:20:37 pm
Now there's a mindset healthy for art!

Thanks Eyecraft! I'm relatively new to art, but I've always been a strong believer in the concept of always trying to "improve yourself," and I have applied it to everything else in my life so far.

Sorry, I've hijacked the thread!  :D

xhunterko, "talent" isn't nearly as improtant as willpower and dedication. Keep going!

Offline Bieber boy

• Freelancer
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:07 pm
xhunterko, "talent" isn't nearly as improtant as willpower and dedication. Keep going!

Because you have no talent.
God made everything out of nothing, but everything still shows through.
-Bieber boy

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 11:32:54 pm
Bieber Boy... who exactly are you? You came onto the board and instantly defended xhunterko, I suspect you could actually be him (I'm probably wrong, maybe a friend then?)... and the comment you just made was fairly rude, he was only trying to help, it seems like you're trying to entice a fight. I suggest you cut it out man or the mods will be on you, they're pretty strict on their rules and they don't want people getting into flame wars.