AuthorTopic: [wip] sailor merrrrrc  (Read 2281 times)

Offline heterostraca

• View Profile

[wip] sailor merrrrrc

on: April 27, 2010, 01:37:22 am
waaarrgh. so um. I'm new to this whole pixeling thing. (and pixelation; so while we're at it, hi and hello.)
There are many things wrong with this. Like the torso hurr hurr. (But as far as anatomy is concerned, I was leaning towards the physically awkward/impossible.) And I wasn't sure about having the black outline. But I kind of want that far leg to look unfinished. Like... to fade... away?
I'm not sure how to finish this. (I feel like I have no control over this piece... if you know what I mean?)

So I would appreciate your advice/suggestions/thoughts/etc. 

Thank you.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: [wip] sailor merrrrrc

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:02:54 am
Hello and welcome to Pixelation, Heterostraca :).

The first thing I noticed with your piece was that she had no hips. Obviously if you're not going for accurate anatomy, it's not much of a problem; however, it's always good to know how it would really look, so that you know what you're warping, and how to convey the feelings you're going for most effectively.

Control; right now your art is all over the place. You've got wonderfully billowy folds on the skirt that are rendered so sweetly, you've got the sketchy head and arms with the basics plotted out, and the contour lines for the leg. It's good to work on the whole thing at once, so that you don't get caught up in the details of the dress while everything else is still in the design stage. Just don't stick your head into one spot and stay there forever; jump around a lot to help keep the piece unified.

I really like the fading away leg idea! It should be pretty cool. Just a suggestion, but I think that adding just a couple more buffer colors with the same width as the fade lines would make it look wonderful.