AuthorTopic: Eden Sprite With Animation  (Read 6058 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Eden Sprite With Animation

on: April 10, 2010, 07:57:16 pm
Hi there  ;D. I'll try to keep this short, but basically I've been working on this sprite for a few months. And the anatomy is just a wreck. I can't figure out how to fix it, and I really would appreciate some help.

- Still Frame -

The sprite is isometric, and I am going to eventually animate it with an 8 (or 12) frame walk cycle, attack, die, and skill animations (like woodcutting, fishing, etc). And an animation can only look so great with a sprite with bad anatomy :/

- Animations -

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:09:16 pm by slym »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite Anatomy Issues :S

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:04:43 pm
I definitely dont think it is as bad as you say it is. Especially in the new version. instead of spelling out his 6 pack with noisy details you're just using his posture to show he's a strong, fit guy. in sprites, and especially in isometric where there isn't a vanishing point, distortions are inevitable. Someone else might have something better to offer but I think its fine as is honestly.

Offline mocha_san

• View Profile
    • www.zachrisso.com

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:56:53 pm
I agree with Ryumaru. The only thing I would suggest is maybe moving his arm(s) one or two pixels "forward." I don't think anyone stands with their shoulders so far back.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:32:38 am
Thanks for bringing my hopes up guys :) I really appreciate it  ;D

Ok attempting the animation cycle!

-EDIT-

Update!  :y: +  :n: ?

- old -
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fs_slym/legs3.gif
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fs_slym/legs.gif
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:52:53 pm by slym »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Eden Sprite

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:40 pm
Ok now I'm really stuck, this is the cycle right now:

It's extremely messy, and I honestly don't know how to fix it :/.

- Edit -
Walk cycle was really frustrating me so I move on to the idle thing :/

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:24:28 pm by slym »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: Eden Sprite With Animation

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:57:25 pm
Extend the legs forward a bit more, make the arms swing more counter to the leg movement (when a leg goes back, the arm should come forward) and show both arms, atleast when the back arm extends forward. If you added some rotation to the torso and head it would help allot too.

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:33:40 am
First of all, I want to say that this is a pretty good spright. Your shading and colors and shape are all great, though the animation could use improvement. I think the legs should be moved together a bit, right now they are looking a bit detached. Also, in frames 4, 5 and 7, it looks like he is bending his leg backwards, which is why in the animation itself, the frontleg is swinging around. I think you also might want to look at the other parts of the body. His arm is moving in a strange way, almost as if he is punching his stomach. I think instead of changing the angle of the forearm too much, you should change the rotation of the entire arm as he walks. Also, his hair and torso should be moving a little as he moves. There's no reason he should be breathing while idle and not while running.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:44:28 am
The sprite is really good, but the anims don't work.

You're trying to reuse / move parts of the still, when you should draw each frame over again; also working separately on parts and limbs is not a good workflow.

Start by drawing the important 4 frames: the contact and passing frames; then you'll add tweens.